Would you like to cover a chipped tooth or hide ugly stains on an otherwise healthy tooth? Dental Bonding can help to restore broken and decayed teeth in a single sitting. It is by far the easiest and the most effective way to repair minor problems. Common issues that the process can help to address include:
- Close small gaps between teeth or spacing irregularities
- Repair and hide unsightly effects of decay
- Repair broken or cracked teeth
- Ideal to cover the tooth’s root exposed after a root canal
- Hide ugly stains on teeth
About The Bonding Material
The actual bonding material is made using composite resin- a mixture of plastic and glass. This mixture is strong, translucent and bonds well with the teeth. They’re also available in a wide variety of colors and can match almost every shade of teeth. In fact, when done skillfully, it is impossible to tell the difference between the bonded tooth and the rest of your teeth.
The Bonding Process:
The dentist begins by cleaning the teeth that needs bonding to remove visible signs of plaque. He then prepares the surface of the tooth that has to be bonded. This is done by applying an acidic gel that will open up the tiny pores on the teeth. This gel is then rinsed off and the composite resin is applied to fill the pores. This layer is then hardened using a curing light. A second layer of composite resin is applied and the curing light hardens this layer as well. This process continues until the tooth is restored to its original shape and color. The final step is to shape the tooth so that it appears natural and in sync with the other teeth. The dentist will also have to check if the tooth gives the right bite before a final polish.
Benefits of Dental Bonding:
The process is ideal for kids and teens that aren’t old enough for long lasting dental procedures like veneers and crowns. Some other common benefits associated with the process include:
- Bonding is the easiest of all cosmetic dental procedures. It can effectively correct problems without affecting the existing tooth structure.
- It is the most inexpensive of all procedures.
- It is also the quickest of all procedures- teeth can be fixed in a single sitting and the tooth can be used almost immediately after bonding.